Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hello from Tsuruta!

Hi everyone! I still don't have internet at home so I haven't updated my blog, I figure I should post at least one update a month, if not more!
I work in the Town Hall and also teach English to the Elementary Schoolers around the area. I have only been here for about a week so I am still trying to figure things out, but it's been great so far. The kids are so cute and full of energy, and I guess it's been a LONG time since anyone who spoke Japanese came from Hood River; there is a CIR from the JET program (run by the Ministry of Education) here, and all JET CIRs have to speak Japanese, but all you need for the sister city exchange is a college degree; you actually need a 4-year degree for ANY work visa to Japan. I am so glad to have found a job in my major!
Life is good here, things are very slow in Tsuruta this time of year, but Hood River is very similar. The weather is similar to HR as well, cloudy and rainy, and we are also close to a large mountain, but Mt Iwaki is only about half the height of Mount Hood. All the kids here are so cute, they are really excited to have a new teacher. The other day there was a little girl who was jumping up and down and waving at me throughout the entire class

No comments:

Post a Comment