Monday, January 18, 2010

スパー礼賛 (In Praise of the Japanese Supermarket) The First

Nike and Converse running shoes, but no Chucks? Heresy!
The only American brand of clothing I could find in the Superstore was Grateful Dead branded sweatshirts.. homesick for Eugene.
Whale Bacon? at $11 for maybe 30 grams, I think I will wait until I can find some at a restaurant, or at least until I find some that's not fake pink (however, the fake pink is a delicious necessity in kamaboko).
Tarako EVERYTHING: Mayonnaise, salad dressing, furikake (rice topping) pasta sauce.
Only white bread. And the same sized pack (half a loaf?) is sold as 6, 5 or 3 ENORMOUS slices.
Camo do-rag? Yes, please! I need something to wear with my huge down jacket and boots (bubblegoose and Tims)
Mario Kart arcade cabinet! Also, students telling me "I saw you playing Mario Kart last weekend". I feel like Botchan at the dango or soba shops.
Fresh-made Takoyaki any time I want. That's all that needs to be said.
A hundred kinds of beer/shochu/nihonshu(sake) that all taste the same.
$1.50 for 3 stalks of asparagus, but a bundle of 3 24-inch long, 1/2 inch wide negi (spring onions) for $1.

No comments:

Post a Comment